Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Danger Days: The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys; Album Review

When I thought My Chemical Romance couldn't get any better...
    Before I downloaded my pre-ordered copy of Danger Days, I had already listened to the album. The whole album was streaming live from Dr. Death's lab, (We'll talk about him later) on Youtube.  This was phenomenal for me, because I was so excited to hear this album. I felt like a total geek, staring at a computer for an hour watching Dr. Death's commentary and this amazing album. When I was done, I had know regrets. After that, I looked down at the comments, and it said 168 comments since you started viewing. (:|) I guess people were just as excited as me!
   After looking at the album name, you may be wondering what the killjoys are. The killjoys are Party Poison, Kobra Kid, and Jet Star. (The three band members) Dr. Death is the DJ who hosted that listening party and appears once in a while on Danger Days. In the Na Na Na video and the SING video, it features the killjoys defeating enemies. Which can be very cool and cheesy at the same time. And then there is BLI (Better Living Industries) BLI is the enemy for the killjoys. Basically what BLI is is that they are people who want you to live your life the way they want you to. And, as you may guess, the most common answer is, "Screw that, I'm with the killjoys."
    This was also a very important album for My Chemical Romance. They've matured. A lot. And so, instead of Gerard Way wearing all black clothing including his chin length black hair, along with crying about death, violence, and drugs, (Which proved to still be very entertaining) He is now an energetic classic punk rock band lead singer. Along with clown red hair, Han Solo boots, and an awesome costume. Instead of the usual depressing, dark, music, it's now an epic, absurd, fun, powerful, and exciting punk. Sounds great, right? That's because it is. My Chem has grown up. And no matter what you say, it's definitely for the better.
   And now, the songs.

    Look Alive, Sunshine- This is the intro to the Na Na Na video. You may have heard it.

   Na Na Na- Most My Chemical Romance fans have heard this one, and it's the same old sing along chorus with those amazingly intelligent lyrics! (I was being a little sarcastic)

   Bulletproof Heart- At first I thought this song would be aimed at screaming fangirls, but I actually really like it. It almost makes it way to sounding like a ballad.

   SING- Not my favorite, mainly because I thought it was pretty bland. I don't think this one deserved the single, but it's bearable.


   Planetary (GO!) - Has a cool intro and it's a really in your face type of song.

   The Only Hope for Me Is You - This song was released before the album, and it is definitely a highlight on the album. It has a great sense of hope, despite the song name.

   Jet Star/ Kobra Kid Traffic Report - A few words from Dr. Death

   Party Poison - This is a really energetic song and is one of my favorites. Really makes you want to jump up and fist pump like a champ.

   Save Yourself, I'll Hold Them Back - This one was released at the MCR website and reminds me of their older music a little. With all the screaming and chanting of "RIGHT NOW!" and "WHO CARES!".

   S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W - The best slow song in the album. At times the feel of the song can be a little depressing, but it's still pretty great.

   Summertime - The only song I dislike... listen to it for yourself. I felt like they were trying to redo SING a little bit.

   Destroya - My favorite song on the album. It is probably the most serious song on the album.

   The Kids from Yesterday - This one is fine, but not really a highlight. It still is fun to listen to it knowing it's about Gerard maturing through his music.

   Vampire Money - This one is funny and really good. It's probably the most fun on the album.

   We Don't Need Another Song About California - This song is only available on the deluxe edition, and it makes getting the deluxe version worthwhile.

   Overall, this is my favorite rock album of the year, but I think they could have done a little better. Mainly because I think the songs didn't flow together so well as they did in The Black Parade. But this one I still think is the most creative, and better, than most of My Chem's older music. No matter what fans of the older music say. A-

Edit: Here is the listening party streaming from Youtube.

1 comment:

  1. To be honest, I never heard about this band.
    You might as well put some streamming link to listen.

    ReplyDelete