Saturday, March 12, 2011

The White House Band - The Stimulus Package EP - Album review

Wow, one great EP. Usually when I'm picking up an EP from a rather underground band, I don't get the incredible quality of The Stimulus Package. Wasup kicks off the album with a great instrumentals throughout. This song makes it clear they're not messing around, they have something to say. After that, there comes Grown-Ups, one of my favorites on the album. The song starts out with the line, "And now I'm so grown-up now."Although this one had to grow on me a little, it became a favorite of mine. It's a little slower than others, but that chorus is, believe me, anything but bad. And here comes Stay, the third track on the album. It has lots of its mix of classic rock and rap influences throughout. For example, the chorus really reminded me of the Pixies, etc. It maintains a mellow-ish attitude throughout which has the potential to not sound good for a rap-rock band, but these guys pulled it off. The 4th track, entitled Thats My Ish, doesn't sound as produced as others, but it seems like thats what they were aiming for, anyway. It reminds me of Rage Against the Machine like the others on this album, but this one felt a little different. Sky-High comes in with a cool guitar and some old-school rapping. Half way through the song it picks up a more techno beat that is epically awesome, and makes sure you listen to the whole song. After that, the bonus track called Yea, I Know F. Lerix, which may be the most complex song on this album. Making references to Medusa and it has probably the best chorus and beats on the album. In fact, it became my overall favorite. After it's done, I'm blown away. Although it isn't too original, it is probably one of the best EP I've listened to in a long time. Before I listened to this, I thought I would want to just go listen to some more Rage Against the Machine. But I was wrong. I want to listen to The White House Band.

No comments:

Post a Comment